Malcolm K. Sydnor Jr., M.D.
Director, Vascular Interventional Radiology
Associate Director, Residency Education
Main Hospital, Room 3-440
Phone: (804) 828-0534
Fax: (804) 6288-1132
Specialties: Varicose Vein Ablation, Kyphoplasty and Trauma Intervention
Areas of InterestMinimally invasive, image-guided procedures, including:
- Treatment of varicose veins with endovenous ablation and ambulatory phlebectomy.
- Treatment of spider veins with sclerotheraphy.
- Treatment of compression fractures and cancer in the spine with kyphoplasty and vertebroplasty.
- Treatment of painful abdominal and pelvic cancers with nerve blocks.
- Treatment of trauma patients with embolotherapy.
- Treatment of occluded arteries with balloons, stents and other devices.
- Carotid stent trials.
- Islet cell transplantation trials.
Research Projects/GrantsPresented in Washington, D.C. at the Society of Interventional Radiology conference in March 2008:
- Splenic artery embolization in the trauma patient: radiation dose and outcome of proximal versus distal embolization
- Unique applications of the balloon expandable covered stent in a wide variety of vascular territories
- Unique applications of bone augmentation for painful metastatic foci to the axial skeleton
- Late complications after bilateral pelvic artery embolization in the blunt trauma patient
- M.D. – Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond, VA
- Residency – VCU Medical Center, Richmond, VA
- Fellowship – University of Virginia, Charlottesville, VA
- American Board of Radiology – Diagnostic Radiology, 2004.
- Certificate of Added Qualification – Vascular and Interventional Radiology, 2007.